Alabama Criminal Records
- Alabama has 2,363,928 total people (FBI, 2018).
- Alabama is the 26th largest state by population.
- The Municipal Courts have jurisdiction over misdemeanors within city boundaries and violations of municipal ordinances.
- The Probate Courts have jurisdiction over cases involving wills, estate, real property, mental illness, and adoption.
- The Small Claim Courts have jurisdiction over cases where the amount in controversy does not exceed $3,000.
- The District Courts handle misdemeanors and preliminary hearings in felony cases. District Courts also handle civil matters where the amount in controversy is between $3,000 and $10,000.
- The Juvenile Courts have jurisdiction over civil and criminal matters involving children under the age of 18.
- The Circuit Courts have general jurisdiction over all criminal matters involving felony prosecutions and legal matters where the amount in controversy exceeds $3,000. They also have exclusive jurisdiction over matters where the amount in controversy exceeds $10,000 and certain appeals from the limited jurisdiction courts (1-5).
- The Court of Civil Appeals has appellate jurisdiction in civil appeals where the amount in controversy does not exceed $50,000. Some cases that may be appealed to this court include divorce, alimony, child support, annulment, adoption, and child custody.
- The Court of Criminal Appeals considers all appeals from misdemeanor and felony trials or convictions.
- The Supreme Court has the authority to review any decision made by a lower court and they can review legal matters where the amount in controversy exceeds $50,000. They also have administrative authority over Alabama's Unified Judicial System and may make rules governing the administration or practice and procedures for Alabama's Courts.
Crime Statistics for Alabama (FBI, 2018)
22nd / 49 (Moderate)
17th / 49 (High)
42nd / 49 (Very Low)
27th / 49 (Moderate)
14th / 49 (High)
39th / 49 (Low)
19th / 49 (High)
20th / 49 (Moderate)
|Motor Vehicle Theft
24th / 49 (Moderate)
Criminal Records in Alabama
Showing 1 - 100 | 1,858 Total Records